AGBO JEDI: THE POWER OF RESILIENCE (Lesson from a young hawker)

 


AGBO JEDI: THE POWER OF RESILIENCE 

(Lesson from a young hawker)

Last Wednesday, I was in a lounge owned by a friend in Ibadan. The lounge is situated in a popular park. 

A party was going on in the park. From where I was seated in the lounge, I could see all the happenings of the party.

Suddenly, an high profile political associate of mine walked into the party with some other well-known politicians. 

I know the celebrant and other politicians at the party but since she (the celebrant) didn’t invite me to the party, I respected myself by not gate crashing. The high profile politician that came in early with his entourage was someone I had been planning to meet for an important discussion, so I took the benefit of his presence at the party to engage him.

I walked into the party to greet him and others and requested for his audience when he is done partying. I went back to my seat inside the lounge afterwards

An hour later, my associate came to join me with his crew and we started discussing as planned. 

Here comes the crux of this story.

A boy of about 15 years old came to stand by the windows and was begging us to buy from him bottles of herbal remedy for pile that he was hawking. He particularly mentioned my associate’s name which he overheard from the praise singer my associate was lavishing naira notes on earlier. More people came into the lounge and couple with the unrelenting disturbance of the young hawker. We decided to move into the VIP section of the lounge, behind closed doors to continue our discussion.

About thirty minutes later, the young hawker found his way to the window of the VIP section and started begging us again to buy his ‘agbo jedi’. Most of us were angry with him but my associate called the waiter to bring the young hawker in. We finally bought two bottles of the herbal remedies from him. I asked him why he was hell bent on selling to us?  His response: ‘I have been in the park all day without selling at all. I just have to make a sale before going home’. 

He kept following us out of the hundreds of people at the park. We were just seven in number. He was convinced we would buy from him if he kept pushing.

He finally succeeded.

It was a strong message from a young hawker. When we learn and endure from resilience, we are most likely to enjoy the following benefits:

Have greater ambition.

Feel more hopeful and optimistic.

Find it easier to maintain emotional stability.

Be more resourceful.

Find it easier to delay gratification.

Feel more connected to others in their personal life and the world as a whole.

Have greater satisfaction with life overall.

I went home that night and couldn’t just stop thinking about the lesson from young hawker.

Whatever you do, whatever your ambition, you may not succeed the first time, or even the second or the third trials. But by being consistent and resilient you will succeed on the long run.

A man contested for president of his country three times unsuccessfully only to win at the fourth trial.

Keep your eye on the target and you will hit it at last.


(Adapted from a story by an unknown author)


Add a comment

Comments