HAPPENSTANCE: IT RARELY HAPPENS TWICE: MY CHURCH BUS

 


HAPPENSTANCE: IT RARELY HAPPENS TWICE

MY CHURCH BUS

A happenstance is a coincidental event. If you call your brother on the phone, that's intentional. If you bump into him in a restaurant, it's happenstance.

A happenstance rarely ever happens twice. It usually refers to an unexpected good thing.

Many people get so excited by the first instance that they expect the happenstance to happen again. The great expectation is often met with disappointment and lamentation.

Adelami, my friend, was given a top political appointment by the governor of his state. He wasn’t a politician and had no input in making him governor. He was the kind they call technocrat.

The only thing that stood my friend in good stead was acquaintance with His Excellency when they met abroad.

Four years went so fast. It was time to chase a second term.

Lami put everything he had into the fray. He was sure to get a better position next term or at worst the same level.

Elections came and went.

His friend won.

Adelami received more congratulatory messages than even the re-elected governor.

The cabinet was soon formed and my friend’s name was missing in the list.

Lami was livid with rage. Eyes red and voice shaking, he narrated how hard he worked to ensure His Excellency got a second term.

I sat him down and told him the story of MY CHURCH BUS

C S R

C S R

MY CHURCH BUS

Long ago when I was just a teenager, my big Sister and I had an idea of a pass time during the holidays. My parents tried to dissuade us. My father would insist holidays are for resting.

We started a lobby through my mother.

Asked what we wanted to do, we said we wanted to trade. They laughed us to scorn.

After some days, they called us again to explain our business plan.

Very simple; we would buy whatever fruit was in season from Apata market, break the bulk and sell in retail.

We were asked our marketing tools and strategy. Simple too, two big trays and hawking.

My parents agreed on two conditions; No crossing the major road or railway and all trading must close by noon.

So we started hawking.


We were expected to get tired in a few days but the excitement kept us going. My sister and I would go different directions and come home at twelve. We would count how much we had made, remove and save the profit.

My mom was our auditor.

Lest I forget, my sister always sold out but me ...? Thanks to some yeye football games at Kuole field in Odo Ona.

You might wonder what my hawking business had to do with a Church Bus.

During a particular holiday, bananas were in season. The trend was the usual. My sister sold much more than I did.

Then one day, I hadn't spent a minute at the junction when a big church bus going to Abeokuta stopped. The bus was filled with people. Before you can say 'Femolad' my bananas were sold out. I happily went home with my tray, feeling like a hero. My sister didn't sell much that day.

No matter our sales, the business was 50:50. It was a Saturday, so I was allowed to go play football.

Basking in the euphoria of the sales boost I spent the following week waiting for Saturday to come.





On the next Saturday, I packed double my usual stock. Off I went to the junction to wait for MY BIG CHURCH BUS.

At a quarter to twelve, the bus still hadn't come. I stood there sweating, fighting back tears of disappointment. The load had suddenly become too heavy.

When my sister got home and didn't see me, she came to fetch me. She took my load (God bless her soul. She was the best sister there ever was) and I followed her home in tears.

We got home and my Great Mom encouraged me and even gave me a bottle of Fanta.

Then she told me, 'Son, your Church Bus came once, don't expect that it will always come back your way again'.


All the money we made selling bananas did not last too long but the lesson of the CHURCH BUS has stayed.

You may have an opportunity, a chance, when fortune suddenly smiled on you. There are times when fate suddenly becomes your ally, when your Church Bus suddenly comes down the road. There was nothing I did differently that morning. My Church Bus just came.

Do not believe you can always walk to the road and the Church Bus will come.

The opportunity you have that put you where you are today, without much ado, may never come your way again.

Like my big tray load that second Saturday, what you got so easy may not be achieved even with greater effort.




Secondly, if I had scoffed my sister when my Church Bus came, would she have carried my heavy load when my Church Bus didn’t come? When fortune smiles at you, be good to people who stood by you when you were under the bar. You may need them to carry your load when your Church Bus doesn't come.

I dedicate this story to the memory of the two greatest women I ever knew, My Mother and My Sister.


ALSO  READ:

WIKE AND MY GIANT ROOSTER : THE SPIRIT OF AKUKO GAGARA

MY WALL OF FAME: IYALODE WURAOLA ESAN, NIGERIA’S FIRST FEMALE SENATOR

NAVIGATING CHALLENGES: ADDRESSING LEADERSHIP IN THE PDP

SADIYA FAROUK & BETTA EDU: Humanitarian House of Fraud and Square Pegs in Round Holes

LEGENDS OF THE ARTS: TOYIN AFOLAYAN (LOLA IDIJE)

Comments