JAMO THE LAW

 


Jamiu, popularly known as Jamo was my friend back in those days in Mushin, in Lagos State. We were both in our early twenties.

I had just moved to the neighborhood. I was staying with my aunt, Mrs Shitta-Bey on Cardoso Street. Jamo was staying somewhere around Palm Avenue. Jamiu was a thorough bred Mushin man. He was born somewhere in Olateju Street, went to Nigeria Model Primary School and later Eko Boys High School, all in Mushin.

I was told Jamo had good grades in West Africa School Certificate Examination.

My friend speaks very good English.

My friend was a Street fighter. He was very deft with his fist as well as with broken bottles. You brandish a knife at Jamo to your own peril. Taking my friend to the police station is wasted effort. He would probably leave there before the complainant.

But most importantly, Jamo was a DEFENDER. Jamo rarely had personal battles to fight. He was always fighting for someone who has been cheated.

When people had problems with the police, they would call on Jamo. He later got involved in the garages and motor parks. (NURTW was not popular then) They all paid Jamiu for his 'services'. Canteens, Beer Parlours etc feted him. Seeing Jamo eating at your shop was some kind of protection.

He was more loved than feared.

Jamiu was also a noise maker. He has a baritone that nearly deafens when he was vexed. Hence the nick name 'Ariwo'.

One day I saw Jamiu in a very unusually sober mood. I asked what the matter was. "Femo, I've been disgraced today", Jamo said, almost in tears. By who and where, I asked, wondering who would dare the lion.

"One small boy, he told me, he's a lawyer."

My friend had gone to settle a matter at the divisional police station. He encountered a young lawyer there and Jamo was asked to shut up, get up and stay outside while they attended to the lawyer. The DPO released the person Jamo went to report without listening to my friend.

What do you want to do now, I inquired.

I was shocked at his reply. "Femo, I want to become a lawyer."

I made enquiries for him about JAMB requirements. That was when I saw Jamiu Ariwo had four As and four credits.

I went with him to purchase the form, filled and submitted.

I left Mushin for Sango Ota that month.

I came visiting two years after and when I inquired about my friend, boys on the street told rather gleefully that "Baba ti lo school", Baba has gone to school. I came back to see Jamo during the weekend and was so thrilled by his tales of the University Law department.

He got involved in Student Union Politics but never contested. He chose to be a King Maker.

My friend did very well in school; he graduated with a Second Class Upper degree.

Jamiu was called to Bar and a feast was thrown in Mushin. It was a carnival.

Jamo however never left the street.

My friend became a successful lawyer. He had his chambers among his people. His aim of becoming a lawyer was fulfilled.

He still defended his people.

There are lessons to learn from his life.

Never look down on a person because of the environment he found himself.

A single event may make the difference in the life of a person. The DPO's action was the stimulus Jamo needed.

All the people contributed willingly to his education because by then, they had grown to trust him. They believed in him.

Many people would not have come back to the ghetto after graduation.

Determination is very key to success in life. All his Omo Igboro stuff did not distract Ariwo.

He still made noise.

He was still their own version of Superman.

But he was now better equipped to do it.

No DPO would send the Barrister out of the station again.

You may find other lessons from his life.

All a man needs is the right stimulus at the right time and the will to make the best of it.

A lot of people you look down on as riff-raffs or lost souls only need a stimulus, a chance to excel.

I reminded a friend about Jamo recently and he told me Barrister Jamo is now the King of a town somewhere in south west Nigeria.

I can’t wait to meet Kabiyesi Jamo the law again.




Comments

Pressy said…
Very inspiring. Youths of nowadays should read this piece